Computers are bound to experience operation issues because humans make them. Fortunately, you can solve the problems even without contacting a tech person. Performing factory reset on your laptop is one of the ways. By doing this, its operating speed is increased, and any malware is removed. Below I am going to explain how you can factory reset your HP laptop with Windows 10.
Switch off the laptop, remove any connected devices and internal hardware, switch on your laptop and repeatedly press F11 as the laptop starts booting until you see “choose an option”. Select “troubleshoot” then “reset this pc”. Select whether you want to remove everything or keep some files and then click on “Reset”.
In this article, I will answer the following questions; how to factory reset an HP laptop with windows 10?, how do you restore an HP laptop to factory settings?, how do I factory reset my HP laptop windows 10 without CD? And how do I reset my HP laptop to factory settings windows 10 without a password?. If these are the questions stuck in your mind, read on to find out.
How To Factory Reset HP Laptop With Windows 10?
Backup your system first before your factory reset your laptop. Factory resetting can be done when you cannot remember your login password or when you are already logged in. Using the Windows recovery environment to factory reset your laptop will be when you cannot remember the password. Whereas using the window to factory reset your laptop is when you can log in.
Using Windows 10 recovery to reset your HP laptop, the following steps are followed;
- Switch off your HP laptop.
- It would be best to disconnect any printers, USB drives (external devices) from your laptop.
- You should remove any added internal hardware.
- Switch your HP laptop on by pressing the power button.
- Repeatedly press the F11 key once the laptop starts booting until you see the ‘choose an option screen.’
- You select troubleshoot.
- Then choose ‘reset this PC.’
- You can choose either to remove everything or to keep your files.
- If you want to retain your data, then select ‘Keep my files.’ Your operating system will be re-installed once you click ‘reset.’ This process may take a while.
- If you need to remove all your personal files, then choose ‘remove everything.’
- You can click ‘all drives’ when you do not want to retain any files.
- You can also deep clean the drive you selected or remove your files.
- Finally, click on ‘Reset.’
Using window settings to reset factory settings, you will follow the following steps;
- Press Windows Key +S on your keyboard.
- You type ‘reset this PC’ then press Enter.
- Select ‘Get Started’ on the right pane.
- You now decide whether to keep your files or remove everything.
- Then click ‘Keep My Files’ if you want to retain your apps, personal files, and customizations.
- Click ‘next’, then select ‘reset’. Your computer will restart, and your operating system will be re-installed.
- If you prefer removing all your apps, personal files, and customization settings, select ‘remove everything.’
- You can choose whether to clear all your drives or just the drive where Windows is installed.
- You have the choice to remove your files or to delete them while cleaning the drive.
- The process will start when you click ‘reset.’ It may take a while for it to complete.
How Do You Restore an HP Laptop to Factory Settings?
To restore your laptop is to undo system changes that you have made recently. The following are steps you will follow;
- Click ‘search,’ which is on the right edge.
- Enter ‘control panel’ in the search box.
- Then enter ‘recovery’ in the control search panel.
- Finally, tap ‘open system Restore’ then follow the instructions on the screen.
How Do I Factory Reset My HP Laptop Windows 10 Without CD?
The new laptops do not come with recovery discs. So, these laptops will come with a recovery partition. The recovery partition makes the factory reset even easier. The recovery partition secures drives and all the apps you need. Whenever you use your laptop to access unsafe websites to download files or programs, your laptop will detect viruses over time. Your laptop will require factory resetting to help you get rid of these problems. Without a CD, you will use the following steps;
- Step 1: Backup your data. It is recommended that you backup your data. You can use a USB drive.
- Step 2: Make sure you are connected to a working internet.
- Step 3: Charge your laptop and make sure it is plugged into the charger.
- Step 4: Go to the recovery manager. Switch on your laptop or restart. Press the F11 key repeatedly until you see the ‘recovery manager.’
- Step 5: ‘I need help immediately’ will pop up on the left pane. Select ‘system recovery,’ then click ‘back up your files and click next. It is important to have an additional backup.
- Step 6: Click on ‘next’ when the backup is completed. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the reset process of your laptop. Do not interrupt the process or shut down until you see a completion reset message.
How Do I Reset My HP Laptop to Factory Settings Windows 10 Without Password?
You may have been in a case where you have been asked to provide the password of a laptop, and you have forgotten, or you want to repair it through a factory setting. Below are simple methods you can use to guide you.
Method 1: Restore Your Windows 10 HP Laptop to Factory Settings by Removing Password First.
In this scenario, other tools will be of help for you to restore your laptop.
- Part 1: Omit your HP Laptop current Password
- Step 1: Download and then install Window Password Key on your current computer. After installing the software, choose “Browse” to obtain the existing Windows Password Key image file.
- Step 2: To burn a reset disk, you may choose either “CD/DVD” or “USB Flash Drive” before starting the process by clicking “Burn.” After it completes, click “OK” to remove the flash drive.
- Step 3: Set BIOS to make this computer boot from CD/DVD or USB. Then, put the disk into your password-protected HP laptop.
- Step 4: Afterwards, the Window Password Key notification pops. Just follow the steps to omit the HP laptop password.
- Part 2: Wipe Your Windows 10 HP Laptop to Factory Defaults
- You may start resetting it after removing the users’ passwords from your HP laptop.
- Step 1: Go to Settings >> Update and security >> Recovery, and click ‘Get started’.
- Step 2: Choose either ‘Remove everything’ if you want to remove all the data in your laptop or ‘Keep my files’ then ‘Reset’ to remove everything apart from your files from the laptop.
- Step 3: If you choose ‘Remove everything,’ you will be asked to decide to remove everything in ‘Only the drive where Windows is installed’ or ‘All drives, and then ‘Just remove my files or ‘Remove files and clean the drive.’ And then, click ‘Reset’ to confirm and start the reset process.
Method 2: Factory Reset Password-protected HP Laptop Windows 10 with Troubleshoot Function
On Windows 10, you can achieve this without keying in the password. By skipping the step, resetting your HP laptop to factory settings becomes way easier. Follow these steps to learn this trick to reset your computer.
- Step 1: On the Windows 10 login interface, press the Power button and then the restart button, and press and hold the Shift key simultaneously to display Troubleshoot options. Click Troubleshoot.
- Step 2: To enable the system to reset your HP laptop, choose ‘Reset your PC’ and then ‘Next.’
- Step 3: Choose ‘Remove Everything’; the system will remove all data in your computer and factory reset your HP laptop.