Alexa can do almost anything for you. From turning your lights on to brewing your morning cup of coffee, Alexa is always there to help. She can even turn your ceiling fan off and on or adjust its speed if you have the correct setup!
Here are four steps to controlling your ceiling fan with Alexa:
- Use a wireless hub to pair your ceiling fan with Alexa.
- Install a smart ceiling fan for easier automation.
- Optimize your ceiling fan with a smart dimmer switch.
- Use a smart remote control kit for maximum convenience.
So, let’s talk about the best products and tricks that you can use to automate your home’s ceiling fan. Keep reading to learn about the steps you need to take to get your fan running with Alexa at any time.
1. Use a Wireless Hub To Pair Your Ceiling Fan With Alexa
It works best for: Fans that have remote controls and smart ceiling fans.
If you have a fan with its remote control, you can easily use BOND to connect it to Alexa.
BOND (available on Amazon.com) is a device that pairs with your ceiling fan’s remote control and your wireless internet to automate up to thirty ceiling fans in your home. I love BOND for its simplicity and ease of use. It’s also very compact so it won’t add much clutter to your home.
BOND also works for other remote control devices like fireplaces, automatic shades, and fire alarms to help you control anything in your home with Alexa and other voice control devices all from one hub.
Setting up a new BOND hub is straightforward and quick since you won’t have to modify your fan or install anything mechanically. All you have to do is plug it in, install the app and Amazon skill, and pair it with your ceiling fan’s remote control.
You can also manage all the devices paired with BOND on your phone or tablet, making it easy for you to take your fan’s controls into your own hands.
How To Automate Your Fan With BOND
To pair and use BOND with your ceiling fan:
- Take your BOND device out of its packaging.
- Plug the micro USB cable into the BOND device and connect it to a power outlet.
- Install the BOND app on any tablet or smartphone.
- Follow the directions on the app to create an account with Bond.
- Wait for the BOND device to flash a green light (indicating that wifi mode is on).
- Open your phone or tablet’s wifi settings and tap on the network that says “Bond.”
- Return to the BOND App.
- Select your wireless network on the BOND app to connect your device to the internet.
- Wait a few minutes for the BOND to connect to your wifi and smart device.
- Select “ceiling fan” from the menu that pops up.
- Select a feature that you find on your ceiling fan’s original remote control.
- When the BOND’s light turns blue, place your original remote control next to the BOND device and hold the button indicating the function you just selected on your phone or tablet.
- Hold the button down until the BOND’s light turns green.
- Test your fan until it works.
- Open your Alexa app and look for “Bond Home” under the skills menu.
- Download the “Bond Home” skill.
- Use Alexa to change your fan speed or turn the fan light on or off.
For a helpful installation walkthrough, check out this helpful video from Craig’s Tech Talk, a YouTuber who specializes in smart home technology:
2. Install a Smart Ceiling Fan for Easier Automation
Works best for: People who want to purchase a new fan that’ll work with Alexa.
If you’re in the market for a brand new ceiling fan, you can choose to get a smart fan that’s automatically compatible with Alexa and other smart home devices. These fans are fantastic because you won’t have to use any device, other than Alexa, to change power settings, adjust your fan’s speed, or dim the lights. You also won’t have to install anything other than the fan, streamlining the automation process.
If you’re looking for a reliable and reputable brand, I can’t recommend Hunter brand fans highly enough. My favorite model, the Hunter Signal Indoor Ceiling Fan (available on Amazon.com), is classy, efficient, silent, and works exceptionally well with Alexa and other voice control assistants. It also has a stunning yet subtle design that turns your ceiling fan into a statement piece while allowing you to control your fan with your favorite smart home devices.
This fan also works with an app called SIMPLEconnect Wifi app so that you can easily control it with your phone or tablet without having to install any extra parts or use any other technology.
How To Setup a Smart Ceiling Fan Like Hunter’s Signal Indoor Ceiling Fan
To set up a Hunter smart fan and connect it to Alexa:
- Install your new ceiling fan according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Download the Simple Connect App on your phone or tablet.
- Follow the instructions on-screen to create an account.
- Turn on your new fan and reset your remote.
- Press the “+” icon on your app, then press “Done.”
- When the “Add Accessory” screen pops up, locate the code on the battery cover of your remote and align it with your phone or tablet’s camera.
- Choose the fan you want to pair with your app and allow it to join your network.
- Open your Alexa app.
- On the skills menu, download the Hunter SmartConnect Smart Ceiling Fan skill.
- Connect the skill to your ceiling fan and use Alexa to control it!
For an easy tutorial to set up your fan, check out this video from Hunter Fan Company:
3. Optimize Your Ceiling Fan With a Smart Dimmer Switch
Works best for: Any ceiling fan connected to a light switch.
Using dimmer switches is an excellent choice if you want to control your fan’s speed and the light’s brightness, but smart dimmers can do all of that on command.
Using a smart dimmer switch is the easiest way to turn your older or bargain ceiling fan into a smart one. They’ll work with thousands of different fan models and brands to ensure that your home is cutting edge.
If you want a dimmer switch that works well with Alexa, I recommend Kasa’s Smart Dimmer Switch (available on Amazon.com). I love this product because it’s reliable and easy to install. Its app also works very well with Alexa, so you shouldn’t experience any glitches or other issues when you use it.
You can always have a professional install your new switch, but it’s effortless to do it yourself, so definitely give it a try.
All you have to do is remove your old light switch, plug in the smart dimmer, and screw it into the wall. However, it’s essential to note that your switch outlet must have a neutral wire (usually a white or gray bundle of wires behind your fan switch) for the controls to work.
How To Install a Smart Dimmer Switch like Kasa Smart Dimmer
To install and use a smart dimmer switch:
- Unscrew the switch plate for your fan’s light switch.
- Use a voltmeter to determine which wire on your switch’s side is connected to the circuit breaker and which one is connected to your fan.
- Using your circuit breaker, turn off the electricity that powers the light switch for your ceiling fan.
- Remove the bracket that connects your switch to the wall.
- Unscrew the wires from your light switch, keeping track of which one goes where.
- Using wire nuts, connect the white wire on your switch to the neutral wires in your wall.
- Connect the green wire to your ground wire using a wire nut.
- Screw the wire that connects your circuit breaker to the switch using the black screw.
- Screw the wire that connects your light to the switch using the red screw.
- Slide the switch into your wall, ensuring that the large button is on the bottom and the smaller dimmer switches are on the top.
- Screw the new switch into the wall.
- Turn the breaker back on to supply power.
- Ensure that the switch works.
- Then, download the Kasa app.
- Pair the app with your light switch.
- Download and enable Alexa’s TP-Link Kasa Smart Skill.
- Now, you can control your ceiling fan switch with Alexa!
For a guide, follow along with this YouTube video from Just a Dad Videos, which offers some helpful installation tips:
4. Use a Smart Remote Control Kit for Maximum Convenience
Works best for: Any ceiling fan.
Even if your ceiling fan doesn’t have a remote control, you can always install one on your own. That way, you can use the remote control or pair it with Alexa for easy voice control options.
Smart remote controls allow you to turn your ceiling fan into a smart one using a receiver that you install inside your smart fan’s wiring. With one of these marvelous devices, you can use the remote control to pair your fan with BOND and use Alexa to control it.
The best part of using a universal remote control like this one is that you can use it with practically any make or model of fan. So, no replacing is necessary! You can keep all of your old fans and upgrade them with a tiny, simple part.
These devices can be glitchy if you don’t get the right one, though. That’s why I recommend Aubric’s Smart Wifi Ceiling Fan and Light Remote Control Kit (available on Amazon.com), which is highly reliable and works on all pull chain fans. So, no matter how old your fan is, you can always optimize it more.
Installation is simple, and all you have to do is put the receiver in your existing fan.
How To Setup a Smart Remote Control Kit Like Aubric’s Remote Control Kit
To install an Aubric’s Smart Ceiling Fan and Light Remote Control Kit:
- Download the Smart Life app.
- Turn off the power supply for your ceiling fan using the circuit breaker in your home.
- Remove the light bulbs and light covers on your ceiling fan.
- Carefully remove the canopy of your ceiling fan, propping it on the top step of a ladder.
- Disconnect the wires from your ceiling fan.
- Follow the instructions on your remote receiver’s manual to determine what wires need to be connected to power, the fan, and the fan’s light.
- Connect the wires using wire nuts and tightly screw them onto the cable ends to ensure that they don’t come loose.
- Remount your fan and screw it back into the bracket in your ceiling.
- Turn your fan’s electricity back on from your home’s circuit breaker.
- Turn the fan on to ensure that you connected the wires correctly.
- Hold the “Hi” and “Light” buttons on your remote control until the receiver beeps three times.
- Open the Smart Life app and tap on the “+” to start the pairing process.
- Choose “add manually.”
- Tap on “Small Home Appliances,” then select “Fan.”
- Enter your wifi passcode, then select “confirm” when prompted with the “confirm indicator rapidly blink.”
- Wait a few seconds, then test your new remote control!
Suppose you want to try to install your remote control receiver on your own. In that case, you may wish to follow this helpful and straightforward tutorial from Terry Peterman, “the Internet Electrician,” on YouTube:
Once you complete the setup process, you can use BOND to enable Alexa to use your fan’s remote control. Then, you can use the Smart Life app to control your fan and use it with Alexa’s skills.
With so many ways to automate your ceiling fan, there are plenty of methods you can use to upgrade your home with convenience and efficiency. Connecting your ceiling fans to Alexa is simple as long as you know how, and there are tons of smart gadgets that make the task even easier. So, with Alexa and other voice control assistants, you can become an even bigger fan of your ceiling fan!